The placement of our adoptable animals into loving, caring homes and thereby enhancing the bond between animals and people is the primary goal of the Siouxland Humane Society Adoption Program. We focus on education so that every pet owner benefits from their contact with the Shelter, whether or not they adopt an animal from us. Matching the needs of the animal and the potential owner, as well as educating potential owners about responsible pet ownership, helps ensure successful pet placements of Shelter animals.
|$50.00 - $70.00
||$65.00 - $85.00
With each adoption your new pet receives:
- Initial Preventative Vaccinations
- Free Veterinary Health Exam
- Spay/Neuter Discount
- New Parent Guide
- Adoption Packet
- Free bag of starter food provided by Country Vet
For those 60 and older, ask about our Pets for Seniors program.
Choosing Your New Pet
Our knowledgeable staff is here to assist you in choosing a pet that is right for you and your family and answer any questions you may have. Come and visit our Shelter and tour the kennels with a staff member and note which animal you are interested in. You can visit with the animal in one of our visitation rooms or our outdoor courtyard. It is encouraged that everyone in the household meets the animal before a decision is made. You are also encouraged to bring any pets you already own to the Shelter to visit with the new animal. Once you have made your decision, our staff will ask you to complete an Adoption Questionnaire and meet with an adoption counselor to ensure a good match.
The Shelter receives dogs and cats of every breed. About 25% of our animals are purebreds. We never know what pet will come to us at any time, so people looking for a particular breed are asked to check often. Only a small number of the animals available for adoption are shown on this website so please stop by the Shelter to view our entire selection.
Spaying and Neutering Policy
Spaying and neutering are essential to ending pet overpopulation. Section 162.20 of the Iowa Code requires mandatory spaying or neutering of any dog or cat leaving a Shelter in the state of Iowa. You will receive a refund of a spay/neuter deposit directly from the Siouxland Humane Society once this procedure has been done. The Siouxland Humane Society along with the Woodbury County Attorneys Office supports enforcement of the mandatory spay/neuter law which serves to reduce the tragic problems resulting from pet overpopulation.
Other Shelter adoption policies include the following:
- The adopter or primary owner of the animal must provide proof of legal age and be able to provide reasonable means of support for an animal.
- If the adopter rents his/her residence, he or she should secure landlord permission prior to adopting an animal. The Siouxland Humane Society may ask for proof of landlord permission as part of the adoption process.
- No animal will be adopted to anyone who refuses to have it spayed/neutered.
- No person present with a potential adopter who has been turned down for any reason can adopt the same animal.
- We do not adopt out animals as gifts to someone outside the household however it may be appropriate as a gift to someone in the house. If someone would like to give an animal as a gift we recommend that they buy a gift certificate or bring the gift recipient to the shelter as a surprise.
- We reserve the right to refuse any adoption to anyone who wants a pet that we feel is inappropriate for their lifestyle, family or the well being of the animal in our best judgment.
- If someone has an unusual situation or request, check with management, none of our adoption guidelines apply to every situation. The final decision is at the discretion of the Executive Director and management
Our primary focus is education. We educate pet owners on both the needs of the species in general and the needs specific to the individual animal. Let our knowledgeable staff spend time with you, one on one, to find the right pet to adopt into your home and family!