PETS FOR SENIORS
What better companion for a senior citizen than a loving devoted pet. This program will match special need pets with senior citizens. Many senior citizens find themselves alone and in need of someone to care for and love. On the flipside, many of the pets that come through our doors every year are considered “special need” pets because they are older, have a handicap, or for some other reason are deemed undesirable. These pets often are a perfect match for seniors who don’t want to deal with the stress of puppies and kittens and prefer a more settled pet.
Participants in the program must be 60 and older and be retired or working part-time. Pets placed in this program are “special need” pets which include a small dog over age 5, a large dog over 1 year, an adult cat over age 3, or a pet with a handicap.
The Siouxland Humane Society will provide the following services:
• A discounted adoption fee of only $20.00.
• Pay for spay/neuter when needed.
• Pay for any needed vaccinations.
• Pay for a heartworm test or a feline leuk/FIV test.
• Help with pet transportation problems if needed.
• Work to find the perfect pairing of pets and people.