The placement of adoptable pets into loving, caring homes, thereby enhancing the bond between pets and people is the primary goal of the Siouxland Humane Society Adoption Program. We focus on education so that every pet owner can benefit from their contact with the Shelter, whether or not they adopt a pet from us.
Our knowledgeable staff is here to assist you in choosing a pet that is right for you and your family. Matching the needs of the pet with the potential owner, as well as responsible pet ownership education, helps to ensure the successful placement of Shelter pets. Visit our Shelter, tour the kennels with a staff member, and note which pet you are interested in. You can visit with the pet in one of our visitation rooms or our outdoor courtyard. We encourage everyone in the household (including other pets) to meet the new pet before making a decision. Should you decide to adopt, our staff will ask you to complete an Adoption Questionnaire and meet with an adoption counselor.
While you can’t put a price tag on a lifetime of hugs, kisses, companionship and unconditional love, there are costs involved in caring for a healthy pet. When you adopt a pet from the Siouxland Humane Society, we’ve already performed procedures that are critical for maintaining his or her good health.
These important benefits are provided to you in the price of the adoption which include the following:
- Initial Preventative Vaccinations
- Free Veterinary Health Exam
$50 – $70 – $150*
$95 – $135 – $165 – $195 – $300*
- Price varies based on breed, age, spay/neuter status and veterinary costs. Higher fees go to help other pets who wait months to find homes.
- Prices may be less than those listed above for Cats/Kittens/Dogs/Puppies if the fee has been reduced from donations to our Sponsor a Pet Program.
Hamster, Gerbil, Mouse, Rat – $5
Rabbit, Guinea Pig – $10
Ferret – $75
Parakeet, Finch – $10
Cockatiel – $60
For those 60 and older, check out our Pets for Seniors program.
SHS ADOPTION REQUIREMENTS
- You must be at least 18 years old. Have valid driver’s license or picture id.
- If the adopter rents his/her residence the Siouxland Humane Society may ask for proof of landlord
permission as part of the adoption process.
- You must agree to have pet spayed/neutered if not already done.
- If someone would like to give an animal as a gift we recommend that they buy a gift certificate or bring the
gift recipient to the shelter as a surprise.
- We reserve the right to refuse any adoption to anyone who wants a pet that we feel is inappropriate for
their lifestyle, family, or the well being of the animal.
The SHS may require other information or steps be taken prior to adoption to insure the pet is a right match for your family. The SHS reserves the right to deny any adoption for any reason.
PETS FOR SENIORS
What better companion for a senior citizen than a loving devoted pet. This program will match special need pets with senior citizens. Many senior citizens find themselves alone and in need of someone to care for and love. On the flipside, many of the pets that come through our doors every year are considered “special need” pets because they are older, have a handicap, or for some other reason are deemed undesirable. These pets often are a perfect match for seniors who don’t want to deal with the stress of puppies and kittens and prefer a more settled pet.
Participants in the program must be 60 and older and be retired or working part-time. Pets placed in this program are “special need” pets which have been selected for placement by our staff.
The Pets For Seniors Program will include:
- A discounted adoption fee of only $20.00.
- A pet that is already spayed/neutered.
- A pet that is fully vaccinated.
- A dog tested for heartworm or a feline FeLV/FIV.
- Help with pet transportation if needed.
- Work to find the perfect pairing of pets and people.